Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Who says you can't paint laminate furniture?

People ask me all the time if you can paint laminate furniture! I say heck to the yes you can!! I mean is there anything you can't paint? Not really.

I am really sorry that I don't have a before picture of this desk. I got this beauty for free from a neighbor that was moving. It was a dark brown color. If you look close you can see that I was lazy and forgot to paint a part of it by the keyboard. So just imagine that color on all of the desk.
First of all I sanded the edges, because I wanted a distressed look and I didn't want the laminate to show through when I distressed it later on. That's the only sanding I did though. Just the edges. Then I painted (GASP!! I didn't even prime!) with a large bottle of black Delta craft paint that I found left over from a different project. It took about 3 coats of paint to cover. Next I sanded the edges, again to distress it a bit. Then I sprayed it with 2 coats of polyurethane. To finish it off I added new $3.00/ea. drawer pulls. Not bad for a $9.00 redo, eh?

2 comments:

The Single Nester April 13, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Oops. I forgot to prime my desk. I guess that is why the slightest scratch shows through.

Momma Button April 13, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open! I have wanted to paint some shelves and a hutch that I own. I was told that I couldn't paint over the laminate. Now, thanks to you, I will be proving the 'know it all' people around me WRONG! Thanks for the FAB post Celinda!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

the clever chic is dedicated to bringing wonderful ideas together in one spot; craft ideas, decorating ideas, organizing ideas, cooking ideas, parenting ideas, etc. it's basically a melting pot of inspiration!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP