Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How to make a Keepsake Box

These Keepsake Boxes are easy and fun. Your child will love them. When I was a kid I had a box that I would keep under my bed and fill with all sorts of "special" things. Valentines, Birthday Cards, the special handkerchief that used to be my grandpa's, sea shells and rocks I'd collected, etc. I decided I wanted my kids to also have a special box that they could put their special things in, but why not dress it up a little?


What you will need:
  • a box with a lid for each child - I found these 3 nesting boxes at my local craft supply store for 40% off
  • Mod Podge
  • paint brush
  • scissors
  • pencil
  • cute scrapbook paper to match each child's personality
  • embellishments


Trace each surface of the box and the lid onto the paper. Then cut out and make sure the paper fits on each surface.


Then start Mod Podging. First Mod Podge the blank surface, then stick the paper to the box and Mod Podge over the paper. Do this on all surfaces of the box and the lid and allow to dry. After dry, apply one more coat of Mod Podge over the paper. This will make it more durable and give it a really nice sheen. Allow second coat to dry.

Now it's time to add a name or a letter to each box (see below). Mod Podge a section of where you want the name to go, then stick the name to it and Mod Podge over the top of the name or letter. Let dry.

Last, but not least, EMBELLISHMENTS! You can find these pre-adheisived flower and jewels at any scrapbook supply store.


Give to your kids to fill with treasures and to put under their bed! :)

4 comments:

Tiff March 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM  

Super cute! Thanks for steppin' up Steff!

Alyssa March 31, 2010 at 9:50 PM  

I'm definitely going to make one of these for my little guy!

Thanks for the post.

Alyssa
lifeoflyssie.com

Unknown April 3, 2010 at 3:23 PM  

What a fun keepsake box! I love it!

Bree, Home of Blogmania April 3, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

I decorate keepsakes boxes too. I haven't used as much paper, sort of nervous more than anything! Just getting that paper to work with me- but I am learning thanks to tutorials, amy at mod podge rocks and good ole' practice! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About This Blog

the clever chic is dedicated to bringing wonderful ideas together in one spot; craft ideas, decorating ideas, organizing ideas, cooking ideas, parenting ideas, etc. it's basically a melting pot of inspiration!

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP